Friday, March 21, 2008

Lomography 101





Why lomography


“The intent of LOMOgraphy as a philosophy is to let go of all the burdens of traditional photography, and capture life as it is, as directly as possible. To translate freedom into pictures. To be free, wild, and young. To be spontaneous.”




On a very candid note, I lack ample photographic education since I constantly try to explore things on my own, just like when I educated myself how to play drums. However, with little guidance from a classmate, I eventually learn some of the dos and donts in lomography. And I still have a lot to know about it.


Lomography seems to be in vogue apparently. It emerged as a new way of photography years back. Lomography has one general rule, but a Lomographic society which I spotted in the internet created ten rules for lomo aficionado (see below). Anyhow, lomography’s motto is “don’t think, just shoot.” Point and shoot so to say. (A big) BUT there is no guarantee that your shots will be great; one needs the (necessary) skill to take a good shoot, using this rule.


When I was in high school I wanted to be a photojournalist, but ended up being a news writer in our school paper. So photography is one of my frustrations. Upon entering college, I focused on many things; tried to make it to a dance group in school, joined an organization of musicians’, writers and all. Basically, I forgot about considering photography as a “talent” and a hobby. Later last year, my friend urged me to buy a lomo camera, which I brought in Cebu. So my camera was first exploited in Cebu. My first set of shots is posted here in my blog but the rest is yet to be developed. Don’t have time to go to Hidalgo, the renowned place in Quiapo often visited by camera buffs, the place where I buy and develop films. One time we even met the official photographer of Imelda Marcos there, forgot the name though. And members of lomo manila (a lomo society in Manila which I am a part of) visit there to purchase stuff for their dearly loved cameras. Most of my friends, if not all, yearn to get their hands on a lomo camera (if not a dslr). I included but right now I am contented with my lomo camera, suits me being a novice in the field of photography Fantastic, it is.



The introduction and, now, the revival of lomography as an innovative way of photography created various externalities, in economic and social terms. Lomographic societies were formed both in local and national levels. An entire line of branded analog Lomo cameras was produced. Marketing of the products intensified. It is a profitable business nonetheless. The truth of the matter is that lomography is part of capitalist conspiracy, but I do not intend to discuss it here.



Giving us rules to break

Ten golden rules of lomography

1. Take your camera everywhere you go
2. Use it anytime-day and night
3. Lomography is not interference in your life but part of it (lomography is a powerful sign that u are alive)

4. Try the shot from the hip (choice of perspectives)no limits

5. Approach the object of your lomographic desire as close as possible

6. Don’t think (William firebrace)

7. Be fast

8. You don’t have to know what you captured beforehand in the film (random occurrence)

9. Afterwards either (read between lomographs)

10. Don’t worry about any rules





Funny, the last rule says that you should not worry about any rules. It’s as good as saying that the first 9 rules do not matter, or should not matter at all. Talk about giving rules to break. But that’s the catch. Lomography gives you overflowing freedom, in form, in perspectives, in everything. If it doesn’t require us to think, then it does not require a skill to be able to practice and learn lomography. When one is asked why he/she desires to have a lomo camera, the classic immediate answer would be to say that it’s the ‘in’ thing right now. The ten golden rules of lomography make you believe that lomography is a part of your life- the common concept capitalists feed the consumers with. That it is a necessity rather than a luxury. That is satisfies your well-being rather than your desire. Freedom is such a concept almost devoid in meaning. And the people behind the crafting of this illusion in lomography bank on the people’s desire to be ‘in.’ They bank on the concept of freedom as a way of life, through photography. It creates rules which contradict the freedom it preaches. Or the other way around.



Now why do I enjoy lomography, even if the film and developing expenses demands exhausting your pocket till the last peso? For a person always burdened by rules, lomography is the only leeway that offers freedom one craves to have.

1 comment:

estipi said...

hey mk..:) heheheh.. di pa din ako nakakabili ng lomo cam... at share ko lang, kaya ako naintrigue sa lomography, hindi dahil fad sya (hindi ko nga alam then na sikat sya.. wahahaha) pero dahil natuwa ako sa possibilities/potential niya as an additional prop medium at sa surprise factor na hindi mo malalaman kung ano yung magiging kalalabasan ng pictures mo until you've had them developed.. kung pede nga lang na gawing mas accessible sya sa mas maraming tao, ok sana sya.. kaso ang nangyayari nga ngayon ay narereinforce lang yung prevalent status quo... hehe.. wala lang.. tho, i must admit, kakaiba at kakatuwa din talaga ang itsura ng lomo pics... (kahit na sinasabi sa ibang blogs na pede namang gawin sa photoshop yung effects na yun.. hehe)... wala lang.. ayan comment na ko.. wahahhahaha :P